Sunday, October 08, 2006

Fall Fun


Well, I have a lot of catching up to do. I just can't seem to find time to blog! Something always goes wrong! I can't get my pics uploaded or my computer is so slow or something! But anyways here is an update on what is going on.
Two weekends ago, Jared and I met a friend and his wife up at the cabin for the opening of the Muzzleloader deer hunt. Weston and Jen are going to school in Ogden. Jen and I slept in and really good breakfast, watched chick flicks and went on nature walks. I loved it! The boys went hunting early in the mornings and then came home for lunch. We did go out with them in the evenings on the four wheelers but did not see and buck, just does. It was fun! I loved how beautiful it is up there, all the leaves are changing and the weather is nice and crisp with the smell of camp fires in the air. The pics are of Jared and Weston trying to split a huge log. They were trying to be "Manly Men".

This weekend Jared's family came to visit for my birthday. We went out for dinner and carved pumpkins and played a super fun game called "The Wrong Game". We laughed so hard! You'd be surprised at how hard it is to give the wrong answer to the questions. But for all of you pumpkin carvers I have a few tips to make sure your experience goes smoothly.

* Be sure to cut the top off at an angle so that it doesn't fall in and to prevent extra light coming out of the top.
* Cut a key in the top so that you know how it fits.
* Make sure that the top is big enough for you hand to fit in.
*Don't cut out letters...They may seem easy but they are really hard.
*Make sure to scrape the bottom evenly so that the candle or light can sit evenly
*Carve at an angle to the outside so that more light can show through
*Put your pumpkin in water at night so that it will last longer
*Rig something to the pumpkin so that when kids try to take them to smash them they're arm is cut off. Or just bring them inside before you go to bed.

Now I'm not an expert and that's pretty much all I can do, but if you have any other tricks let me know. The carving kit is pretty good and I do like the little saws, I think they do a good job...But what do I know:)

Mark painted the car before he left for his mission. It's pretty sweet. He just used lace and spray adhesive. Mark is so talented! I miss him!

3 comments:

Bevan said...

We once had a pumpkin in our front yard and some kids left a shotgun shell full of gun powder and retaped in our pumpkin. It sat there for 10 minutes to an hour (we don't know for sure) and finally exploded. It was weird because only the Middle School was involved in punishing the kids, not the Police Dept. That is so dangerous. I guess it is best to put a light bulb and not a real candle.

Elisa said...

Very fun birthday, I didn't know Jared's family was coming! Are all those pupkins on your porch? That will look so great! The good think about your house is that there is such a long walk to the porch and then those steep stairs, any kid who tried to touch the pumpkins could end up flat on their tush.

Encore Dance said...

Some other good tips that "Martha" had were to cut out the bottom and leave the top. I thought that was cool, I'm going to do that next time. That way you just have to lift up to turn on you light or light your candle. I also like the flashing lights and different colored ones.